Befriender, Older Persons' Service
The postholder will provide support to isolated people aged 65 and older by visiting them in their home and/or taking them out to participate in activities.
This could be popping in once a week for cup of tea or supporting your befriendee to participate in community activities.
Due to the Covid-19 outbreak the befriending role will be carried out over the telephone to start with in line with government guidance. Once restrictions start to lift the expectation would be to carry out face-to-face befriending.
- To meet with member once per week for a mutually agreed length of time
- Being mindful of capabilities and limitations of the member, encourage participation in activities
- Maintain confidentiality regarding client information.
- Participate in mandatory induction training and any other relevant training
- Attend planned regular reviews with LinkLiving staff
- Ensure relevant expenses are claimed and receipts are kept on a monthly basis.
- Attend mandatory induction training and any other training relevant to the post
- Ensure you operate within LinkLiving policies and procedures and any other relevant guidelines and Legislation.
Please note, our volunteer befrienders will not be asked to meet any personal care needs.
- Excellent communication skills
- Friendly and approachable
- Dependable and trustworthy
- Sensitivity and ability to treat others with respect
- Well-presented and welcoming
How will we support you?
We will support you through our volunteer induction programme and further training for your role and personal development.
You will also be allocated a worker who will assist you through group and one-to-one support.
If you are under the age of 25, you will be registered for Saltire Awards for your volunteering efforts.
All expenses through your volunteering role will be reimbursed.
What do I need to do before I become a volunteer?
You will need to:
- complete our application form;
- provide two references;
- complete a PVG, which we will do with you;
- complete our induction programme; and
- have appropriate car insurance if taking member out in own vehicle and documentation of vehicle safety checks if you are using your vehicle for volunteering purposes.