Year of Young People 2018
LinkLiving is proud to support Scotland’s first ever Year of Young People.
Scotland’s young people are going to shine in 2018. The Year of Young People 2018 is an opportunity to celebrate the amazing achievements and contributions of our country’s young people. All ages can join in the events and activities across culture, art, sport and more.
Year of Young People – what is it?
Year of Young People 2018 is a year-long programme of events, activities and ideas celebrating young people.
The year aims to inspire Scotland through its young people, celebrating their achievements, valuing their contribution to communities and creating new opportunities for them to shine locally, nationally and globally.
- Objective 1: Provide a platform for young people to have their views heard and acted upon
- Objective 2: Showcase the amazing talents of young people through events and media
- Objective 3: Develop better understanding, cooperation and respect between generations
- Objective 4: Recognise the impact of teachers, youth workers and other supporting adults on young people’s lives
- Objective 5: Provide opportunities for young people to express themselves through culture, sport and other activities
There are six themes around which activity in Year of Young People will take place, all developed by young people. They are:
- Culture - Share and celebrate young people’s talent and contribution to Scottish culture and arts.
- Education - Allow young people to have more say in their education and learning.
- Enterprise and Regeneration - Celebrate young people’s role in innovation, entrepreneurship and the Scottish economy as well as making Scotland a greener and more pleasant place to live.
- Equality and Discrimination - Recognise the positive impact of young people in Scotland and encourage them to take the lead in challenging all forms of prejudice and discrimination
- Health and Wellbeing - Make sure young people have the chance to lead healthy, active lives and understand the importance of mental health and resilience.
- Participation - Give young people the chance to influence decisions that affect their lives.
How we are getting involved
We plan to be actively involved, through events and activities, celebrating our commitment to helping and supporting young people to overcome challenges and be the best they can be.
We will be using it as a platform to share the great work that we do to help young people make positive changes to their lives.